Receiving the news that you need to have your wisdom teeth extracted is never pleasant, however when you’re in good hands you’ll have nothing to worry about, as this is a very common and standard procedure. Dr. Ryan Thomas at Highland Village Family Dentistry can take care of you from start to finish, and you’ll be surprised at how smoothly the process can go. Here’s more information on wisdom teeth extractions in Highland Village, and what to expect.
Why Do I Need My Wisdom Teeth Extracted?
Even when your wisdom teeth come in properly, they can still cause problems. This is because they’re positioned at the very back of your mouth behind your first two molars, and they can be hard to be reached to keep clean. If you can’t properly brush them, it puts you at an increased risk for periodontal disease and tooth decay. Some other reasons wisdom teeth may need to be removed are:
- If they’re impacted, or stuck below your gum line.
- If they don’t come in straight, they can begin to crowd and cause your other teeth to shift.
- Impacted teeth may cause inflammation or infection
For one or more of these reasons, Dr. Thomas typically recommends that wisdom teeth be removed.
Will Having Wisdom Teeth Extracted Hurt?
Dr. Thomas uses digital x-rays to get a clearer picture of how your wisdom teeth are positioned, and this allows him to plan your surgery accordingly, which makes the procedure more comfortable and efficient for you. The use of dental anesthetics ensures that you don’t feel anything during your procedure other than some pressure. Most patients are pleasantly surprised at how easy the extraction process can be.
What is the Recovery Process Like?
We’ll send you home with specific instructions on how to make your recovery smooth and effective, but a few things to remember are:
- Limit your activity for the first 24 hours after your surgery
- Stick to soft foods for the first few days
- Take pain medication as needed
- Contact us right away if you experience excessive bleeding that won’t stop
- In order to keep you blood clot in tact, don’t smoke or use a straw for the first few days after surgery
At Highland Family Dentistry, we strive to make every procedure as comfortable and pleasant for our patients as possible, even tooth extractions. Dr. Thomas is highly skilled and has been practicing dentistry for over a decade, so you can rest assured that you’re in expert hands when you choose to work with him. Contact us today to learn more about a wisdom tooth extraction in Highland Village.