Though an unexpected dental emergency can’t always be avoided, knowing when to act and how to manage the situation can help immensely when one occurs. Conveniently located in Highland Village, TX, Dr. Ryan Thomas and the caring team at Highland Village Family Dentistry treat a wide range of dental emergencies. In addition, we offer useful information and advice to our patients so that they’re better prepared should the unexpected happen at home, at work, and at play.
What Constitutes a Dental Emergency?
The following is a list of the most common dental emergencies and suggestions regarding immediate action:
- Excruciating toothache – Rinse your mouth thoroughly and gently floss around the tooth to remove anything that may be lodged there. While it is fine to apply a cold compress to the outside of the mouth near the affected tooth, do not put aspirin or any other type of medication against the gums in an attempt to alleviate pain. This may burn the tissue, causing a more severe issue. Contact our office for further care instructions and to make an appointment.
- Lost filling or crown – If possible, slip the clean restoration back into place and make an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible. In the meantime, avoid anything that may cause increased sensitivity or pain, including sugary foods. Never use any type of glue to reaffix the crown or filling.
- Chipped or cracked tooth – Call our office and schedule an appointment as soon as possible. Apply gentle but firm pressure to the area with sterile gauze to stop any bleeding. Gather any pieces of the tooth you can find and rinse them. Be sure to bring these with you to your appointment.
- Partially dislodged tooth – Seek immediate care. You may take an over-the-counter pain reliever if necessary until you can reach the office. Take care to avoid touching the tooth or moving it any further within the socket. A cold compress may help to alleviate pain.
- Tooth that has been knocked out – Attempt to place the tooth back in the socket, ensuring that it is facing the proper way. Call us right away. If it is not possible to replace it, retain the tooth (taking care to avoid touching the root portion) and place it carefully in a cup of milk. Many teeth that are replaced by a dentist within one hour are able to be saved.
Any injury to the teeth, lips, gums, tongue, or other tissues within the mouth should be considered serious and assessed by a qualified dental professional. Trust Dr. Thomas to provide you with a gentle touch and unparalleled expertise for all of your oral health needs, including dental emergencies.
Your Trusted Source for Family Dental Care
From routine oral hygiene checkups and simple preventive care to more complex surgical procedures and dental emergencies, Highland Village Family Dentistry is your trusted partner in the pursuit of optimal oral health. Contact our office today and speak to our skilled, compassionate team to discover the difference our caring approach can make in your next dental experience. From our state-of-the-art dental practice in Highland Village, TX, Dr. Thomas sees patients from throughout nearby communities in Lantana, Argyle, The Colony, Flower Mound, Frisco, Plano, and the entire Dallas/Ft. Worth area.