2019 is well underway. But there’s still plenty of time to get started with adult orthodontics in Highland Village. You can be enjoying a healthier, more beautiful smile before 2020 gets here. That’s a great way to lay the foundation for a happy, successful life going forward.
Why Adults Need Orthodontic Treatment Too
Most of us think of misaligned teeth as a “teenage issue.” This is unfortunate, because age by itself doesn’t make dental misalignment go away. To the contrary, the consequences of having misaligned teeth grow worse over time, often leading to lifelong problems such as these:
- Frequent or persistent headaches.
- Pain or soreness in the jaw.
- Stiff, aching neck or back.
- Increased risk of tooth loss.
- Aesthetic issues that can interfere with your business or social life.
The good news is that it’s never too late to look into alignment therapies such as Invisalign. In fact, adults are often the ideal prospects for clear aligners. They are more likely to exercise the self-discipline needed to wear the product for the recommended 22 hours per day.
Why Clear Aligners Are the Adult Choice
Invisalign and similar products were developed specifically for the needs of adults. Unlike traditional braces, they’re low-profile, travel well, and are easy to remove as needed.
With clear aligners, there’s no need to worry about the alignment product standing out or making you feel self-conscious. Plus, when your course of treatment is complete, you only need to wear a nightly retainer to maintain the benefits for the rest of your life.
Why a Better Smile Is Important for Achieving Your Self-Improvement Goals
Having a beautiful smile is more than a cosmetic issue. It actually affects every aspect of your personal, physical, and professional well-being. Here’s why:
- Researchers have discovered a strong link between our sense of self-confidence and the condition of our teeth. Knowing that you can show off your pearly whites with assurance not only fosters high self-esteem, it also gives you an edge over the competition.
- A smile is a powerful persuasive tool. Whether you’re trying to close a deal, argue a case, or meet someone special, the ability to put your best foot forward is critical to achieving your goals.
- The simple act of smiling can make both you and those around you happier. Doesn’t the world need a little added cheer these days?
- Enjoying good dental health gives you an added incentive to take care of the rest of your body. This is a powerful motivator for those of us who have trouble exercising self-discipline sometimes.
- Good oral health is integral to improved overall health. Researchers have discovered a strong correlation between the condition of a person’s teeth and gums and their risk of developing diabetes, cancer, and other serious conditions.
Add up all the advantages and it’s easy to see why now is the time to learn more about Invisalign aligners and other smile enhancement options. Make an appointment to see your dentist soon; they get ready for a brighter tomorrow.
About the Author
Dr. Autumn Joy Griffin is the latest member of the staff here at Highland Village Family Dentistry. Dr. Griffin earned her dental degree from the University of Maryland-Baltimore College of Dental Surgery and completed additional training at Yale Medical School. You can reach her office online or by calling (469) 444-6500.